The Stephen Lawn TB-HIV Research Leadership Prize
About the Stephen Lawn Memorial Fund
The Stephen Lawn Memorial Fund was established through a global partnership between the TB Centre of the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (UK), the Desmond Tutu HIV Centre, at the University of Cape Town, South Africa and The Union, also supported by The Lancet in 2016.
The Research Leadership Prize was introduced as part of the Fund, which is aimed for innovative research on tuberculosis and HIV in sub-Saharan Africa, and acknowledges young researchers conducting encouraging work focused on reducing the disease burden of TB and HIV/AIDS in Africa.
Presented annually at the Union World Conference on Lung Health, the Prize consists of:
- A full fellowship to attend the conference (including full delegate badge, travel, accommodation and per diem).
- An award of GBP 1,000, and a certificate.
- A profile/news item by The Lancet.
- An invitation to attend the Stephen Lawn Memorial Lecture in March of the next year (alternating London and Cape Town) with an opportunity for the winner to present their work in a seminar, and network with colleagues.
Nominees for The Stephen Lawn TB-HIV Research Prize will be clinicians and/or researchers from any country who have completed post-graduate training (MPH, PhD, MD or post-doc) no longer than five years ago, who are under 40 years of age at the time of nomination and who have successfully undertaken innovative research that is expected to impact on TB / HIV in Sub-Saharan Africa. Results of this research may be published OR unpublished.
Criteria for selection
The Stephen Lawn TB/HIV Research Leadership Prize will be administered by The Union. The global honouree will be selected by a panel of leading experts organised by The Union and the above partner organisations. Nominees will be assessed on:
- The innovative component of their research as well as its scientific rigor and quality.
- The potential impact of their work on TB-HIV in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- The extent to which the award might contribute to furthering the applicant’s work and leadership in the fight against TB-HIV.
Nomination and award process
Deadline for the nominations for the Stephen Lawn TB-HIV Research Leadership Prize 2017 is 15th May 2017. You can submit your nomination or learn more about it at this page.Back